Winston County School System Mission Statement, Values, and Beliefs
Mission Statement: The Winston County School System will prepare students for the 21st Century by engaging all learners in meaningful learning experiences that meet the highest educational and ethical standards in a caring, collaborative learning community supported through partnerships with parents and families, businesses, civic organizations, and higher education.
Values and Beliefs:
• have a shared responsibility for their own learning;
• have individual learning styles, needs, and gifts; education is most successful when these attributes are respected and utilized;
• must be prepared to embrace new opportunities and challenges in order to successfully transition from school to post-secondary education and/or careers;
• school readiness is a critical component of school success.
• are a student’s first teacher;
• have a shared responsibility for their student’s learning;
• must be empowered by schools to prepare for and support their student’s learning;
• have the right to be involved and informed about school policies and their student’s progress.
• Every employee is an educator and has shared responsibility for student learning;
• Effective classroom teachers are critical and assume primary responsibility for student learning;
• Effective leadership is key to student learning;
• Collaboration is fundamental to successful outcomes;
• Advancing the capabilities of all employees is essential to an excellent educational system.
• Learning is best served when collaboration occurs among students, parents, school and district personnel, and communities;
• Communities benefit from a strong public education system;
• Well managed physical facilities are a community asset and must be specifically designed, constructed, and maintained to advance learning.
• Education enhances the quality of life and is the foundation for a strong and free society;
• Education is a dynamic process improved through a continuous cycle of assessment, reflection, and modification;
• Educational resources must be managed effectively, transparently, and equitably;
• High standards and expectations must be maintained through a system of accountability.